Saturday, August 06, 2005

A Rebirth?

I had the day off from work today, and found myself at Guitar Center. I've been wondering about thickening up my sound by getting some drum and bass loops going via a foot switch. I ended up buying a new DigiTech GNX4 guitar workstation for $500.

This all got started in my head about a month ago when I was watching Allan Mayes and Ladonna play a gig at the Anderson Mill Tavern. They're a married couple that puts on karaoke shows at bars around town. Allan also plays guitar, and Ladonna, I found out that night, plays sax. They had a MIDI drum machine, that was also playing a bass part.

I haven't thought about doing something like that since Matt and my first radio appearance on the Big Ass Morning Freakshow. My thinking at that time was that an audience would never allow computer sounds during a music show. But now, I'm thinking that I'm more a comedian than a musician, so it might work. It worked for Allan and Ladonna, and they're many times over more musician than me. But I have noticed, all this time playing with Matt, that an audience's reaction to our jokes is very closely related to musical quality. Adding a simple, MIDI bass section might help out.

It'll be interesting to see how it comes out. I would definitely like to start guitar comedy again. Maybe this will help me get back on track.

I'll need to find a good venue. Open mikes won't cut it. You can't get through a full song at the Velv. I think I know a couple. I'll also try some music venues.

But first I have to learn to use a GNX4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home