Saturday, July 09, 2005

Upcoming Shows

I've got two shows coming up that I'm looking forward to.

First, there's a show which I call "Comedeoke". We do it every other Tuesday, and next Tuesday will be the second one we've ever done. It's a 2-hour comedy show at a karaoke bar, and of course it's followed by karaoke.

It's hosted by my friend Bailey. Good guy. He's from Denver.

There are a couple things I especially like about this show. First, it's a great venue for me to do guitar comedy. Comedy clubs are tough places for it, for various reasons. But in a karaoke bar, the sound system is great for music, and more importantly, the people are musically-minded. While I don't do direct song parodies, I often use a particular kind of music as the basis for a punch line, and it helps to have people familliar with the premise.

I also think Bailey has made a good choice by having a headliner every show. See, these comedy nights pop up every once in a while, and almost always die quickly. But by making each show unique, he's giving audiences a chance to come back. Also, depending on the comic, the headliner might be able to get his/her friends to come out for that one special show, whereas friends tend to have difficulty acquiring the willpower to make it out to a show that happens every other week.

That show is happening at the Canary Hut Pub at 8:00 this Tuesday.

The second show is Spite Club at the Velveeta Room. That's going to be exciting.

This time of year, every Thursday (before the regular Open Mike Night) we're holding Spite Club, which pits two local comedians against each other in a battle of insults, trivia, and 5-minutes of anything-goes stage time (with the stipulation that you can't do your act). It's a lot of fun.

This Thursday will be my Spite Club debut, and I will be going against my friend Todd Merriman. His writing is clever, but I think he often has trouble getting to a punchline quickly (and I've told him so).

The thing about Spite Club is that it really doesn't matter who wins -- both comics are really just trying to entertain the audience. True, the winner moves on to the next round (it's a single-elimination tournament), but who cares? So Todd and I have been getting together to discuss what we're going to be doing. I don't want to give away anything, but I really think it's gonna be a lot of fun. (So come out if you can!!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home